For a provider of food, beverage or catering services to be placed on the University Accepted Caterer and Food and Beverage Providers list, the following information must be provided to the Housing and Food Service Purchasing Office.

Any questions regarding these requirements should be directed to  [email protected]. Suppliers must provide the following documents to be considered as an Accepted Caterer or Food and Beverage Provider at The Pennsylvania State University. These requirements are subject to change at any time.

**Requirements updated as of 5/19/2022**

-  A signed COVID-19 Acknowledgment. Please email  [email protected] for a copy of this acknowledgment.

-  Be registered in PaymentWorks as a University Supplier. You will receive an invitation to register in PaymentWorks once all the required documents have been submitted.  Please be sure to include the contact email that you would like this invitation to be sent to. You can learn more on our Supplier Frequently Asked Questions page.

- A copy of your current Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Food License

- A completed Housing and Food Services Vendor Application

- Certificate of Insurance with the updated limits listed below

Standard Insurance Requirements:  The Vendor and any Subcontractor thereof, shall, at its own expense, carry and maintain the following insurance, in amounts not less than that specified for each type. A self-insured program may be substituted for an insured program only after such self-insured program is reviewed and approved by the University's Risk Management Office.

Such insurance or self-insurance shall be primary and non-contributory to the University's insurance and self-insurance coverage.  

The limits required for the Employers' Liability, Automotive Liability and Commercial General Liability coverages may be satisfied through primary insurance or a combination of primary and umbrella/excess liability insurance as long as the umbrella/excess liability insurance follows the form of the primary coverage.

Failure to procure, carry, and maintain the following insurance or self-insurance shall not relieve the Vendor, and any Subcontractor thereof, of any obligation or liability assumed under any Agreement, nor of any obligation or liability imposed by law. 

In no event shall the liability of the Vendor be limited to the extent of any insurance or self-insurance or the minimum limits required herein.  

Any self-insured retentions, deductibles, and exclusions in coverage in the insurance required shall be assumed by and at the sole risk of the Vendor.  

The Vendor or its insurers must provide thirty (30) days advanced written notice to the University of any cancellation or material reduction in the required insurance or self-insurance programs below.

All insurance policies except the Workers' Compensation must contain a waiver of subrogation against the University.

All insurance coverages (except those that are self-insured and approved by the University) must be written with an insurer licensed to conduct business in Pennsylvania and rated not less than A- by A.M. Best.

In the event the Vendor fails to maintain and keep in force the insurance coverages required, the University shall have the right to immediately terminate any Agreements and remove the Vendor from the Accepted Caterer list.

The insurance requirements shall be subject to University review and approval, on an annual basis.

  1. Workers Compensation for statutory obligations imposed by workers' compensation and occupational disease laws.  Employers Liability insurance shall be provided with limits of not less than $500,000 for each subcategory of coverage.  
  2. Automobile Liability insurance (Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability) for all owned, leased, hired, non-owned vehicles with limits not less than $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit.  
  3. Commercial General Liability insurance including coverage for bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury for premises and operations, products and completed operations, and contractual liability arising from all operations, written on an occurrence basis with limits not less than $1,000,000 and which must apply to ongoing operations.  Medical Expense coverage must be written with a limit of not less than $10,000 per person.   "The Pennsylvania State University" must be named as an additional insured.
  4. An Insurance Certificate evidencing the above required coverages, limits, primary and non-contributory provisions, the Commercial General Liability additional insured provision, excess following form provisions, and waiver of subrogation provisions, must be provided to the University, with the Certificate Holder as follows:   

The Pennsylvania State University
HFS Purchasing 
012 Housing and Food Services Building
University Park, PA  16802

Prior to commencing any work, the Vendor must provide a certification of insurance, referencing their HFS vendor number, to the attention of [email protected]


  1. Providers of food, beverage, and catering services that have met the above requirements will be listed by County on the Accepted Caterer web site under the Vendors Tab. This list is utilized by all locations of The Pennsylvania State University. New submissions may take up to thirty (30) days to post once complete and accurate information is received from the prospective vendor.
  2. In order to remain on this list, updated information must be supplied to the Housing and Food Service Purchasing Office thirty (30) days prior to expiration of previous documents, which normally occurs on an annual basis. If the updated information is not received prior to the expiration date, the provider of food, beverages, and/or catering services will fall off this list and cannot be used by the University until updated information is received. Suppliers shall not be permitted to accept any new University business if they are not currently listed on the Accepted Caterer site. The University will not contact vendors prior to expiration of required documents. If information expires, it may take up to thirty (30) days for their status to be reinstated once updated information is submitted.
  3. Any notice from the Insurance Company that the insured’s insurance has been cancelled for any reason will result in the deletion from the listing and immediate suspension of ability to conduct business on campus and removal from the Accepted Caterer list.
  4. The University reserves the right at all times to accept or reject the insurance company(s) shown on the certificate and to delete any listed vendor at any time with or without cause.
  5. The University reserves the right at all times in its sole discretion to accept or reject any prospective vendor's application to be placed on the Accepted Caterer list with or without cause.
  6. Due to the University's contractual agreement, providers of food, beverages and catering services must serve Pepsico beverages at all events including takeout and pickup. This includes soft beverages, bottled water, teas, sports drinks, juices, energy drinks and similar beverage. Providers of food, beverages and catering services can request additional information by contacting the HFS Purchasing Office. Violation of this policy will result in immediate suspension of Accepted Caterer status.
  7. The University reserves the right to changes the Accepted Caterer requirements at any time. All Accepted Caterers will be required to meet any newly established requirements within the timeframe allotted.
  8. The University reserves the right at all times in its sole discretion to remove any vendor on the Accepted Caterer list with or without cause.

To become an Accepted Caterer or Food and Beverage Provider, please email [email protected] to get started.