Ethanol Procurement (03.24.22)
(This online article includes the details of the original message and the subsequent clarification)
Today we want to address the specific ordering requirements for the University Park, PA location around the purchase of ethanol for laboratory use. Ethanol is tightly regulated by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) and specific processes need to be followed for your purchase to be completed successfully.
The successful purchase of ethanol is contingent on your building being on the PSU Industrial Alcohol Use Permit list. If you are unsure or need added to the list, please reach out to our scientific buying staff (Genia Harpster and Rachel Gaddis) for additional information.
The Purchase of ethanol is primarily handled by VWR, one of our scientific supply partners with an on-campus presence at University Park.
This is the specific process that should be followed to place your order:
- Login to SIMBA.
- Click on the Purchasing Tab.
- Click on the “Shop OnLion” button.
- Click Shop.
- Click on “Lion Marketplace”
- Click on the VWR vendor icon to take you to a punch-out through our website.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, click on the link that says, "Custom Catalogs".
- In the center of the screen, click on the green link that says "PSU/Avantor Stockroom".
- Use the drop-down list to select “Ethanol”.
- Select your ethanol by entering the quantity on the right-hand side.
- Once done entering your quantity, click "Add to Basket" on the bottom of the screen.
- Click the checkout button (it is a small wire basket near the upper right-hand side of the screen) and complete your order.
- Proceed to finish your order through SIMBA.
The following part numbers should be used for the University Park, PA location ONLY and can only be found in the Custom Catalog accessed using the steps provided in the original email:
TX89125174PSU – 200 proof – 5 Gallon
TX895164PSU_U – 190 proof – 1 Gallon
TX895170PSU_U – 200 proof – 1 Pint
TX895172PSU_U – 200 proof – 1 Gallon
All other campus or research locations should continue to follow whatever process they had in place for ethanol procurement prior to our guidance being issued.
The corresponding part numbers for ALL other locations are as follows: (these numbers can be typed & searched when punching out to the VWR website and ordered just like all other products)
89125-174 – 200 proof – 5 Gallon
89125-164 – 190 proof – 1 Gallon
89125-170 – 200 proof – 1 Pint
89125-172 – 200 proof – 1 Gallon
If, after placing your order, you receive an email from VWR Regulatory Affairs about the PLCB License, please contact the VWR stockroom immediately at 814-865-1066 or John Woodward or Rob Arnold, Stockroom Coordinators.